Thursday, April 11, 2013

Postcards to Stockholm: DNA for dummies


Dear Sis,

I was curious to read in the press today that Christie's had auctioned the letter Francis Crick sent his son upon the discovery of the double helix. I did not know that, like our dad, DNA turns 60 this year!

As a way to celebrate I am going to tell you a little more about my encounter with that long chain with flat bits sticking out.

I began to mull over the news of the auction and my first thoughts went to you immediately, and I imagined myself receiving a letter with your (much cuter and cleaner that Mr. Crick's) hand writing explaining to me all about DNA.

I went in the search of the letter to read it myself and was absolutely moved and thrilled by the content, even if I am no scientist and I do not live in 1953, that letter has something, maybe the clarity of the explanation, maybe Mr. Crick's excitement, I really don't know, but I love it!

You may want to start sending letters to me from Stockholm, letters that I can keep and maybe sell for the amount of $5.3 million in time, please, take the hint. Send. Letters. Sister. Millions.

In truth, after reading it I wished I had those $5.3 million so that I could have gotten that letter for you.

I'll see you in less than a month! In the mean time, carry on. Nobel Prize.

Lots of love and kisses from the person whose DNA is closest to yours in the whole world.

M.








2 comments:

Marta said...

Prueba ahora SIS!

Miss Cross said...

How awesome is this? both the letter and your idea. If you need more recipients (aka more chances to send more letters = more possibilities of hitting the jackpot) I'm here. Just so you both know ;)

www.chezagnes.blogspot.com