Thursday, August 18, 2011

Postcards from Russia - Such great hights

I've learnt quite a lot of things about Russia lately, its recent and not so recent history, its people and their traditions.

Capitalism, free market and Perestroika have had a somewhat disfunctional way of becoming part of the daily life of Russians, big fat cars mingle with groups of women dressed in black,old men playing chess in the middle of the street and women wearing the most unbelievable high heels one could ever manage to walk on.

- "Let's do the shopping, darling".

- "Sure, dear, i just need to put my comfy shoes on".

Seriously, I bet half the money in my purse (0,76€) that Russian hospitals have the highest rate of ankle injuries among female patients between the ages of 17 and 35 in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD.

Unbelievable.

I therefore undertook the task of taking pictures of all the Russian women wearing appaling heels that I could, and trust me, it was a difficult task to try and take the picture without their enormous mobster boyfriends turning my humble digicam (as in Digimon! but digicam) to tiny sparkling metal pieces (which explains why most pictures are either blurry or twisted).

High heels walking across Moscow's Red Square's irregular pavement make one believe impossible is nothing, of course then you watch this impossibly tall women lose balance and can't help but imagine an average Moscovite ER filled with women carrying one broken high heel shoe in one hand, ankle throbbing.

Of course I have not checked statistics on Russian hospitals, but I have been witness to some very common collateral damages that come with wearing heels through impossible pavements. As you walk along any Russian street you can perfectly hear the very particular clang of lidless heels announcing the arrival of an impossibly tall Russian female, and of course you are correct in that assumption. Here she comes, accompanied by her mobster boyfriend. Camera out, picture!

It hit me as something quite surprising when I discovered this sign at the entrance of Saint Petersburg's Ermitage museum. You can take pictures everywhere, ruin a beautiful Rafael or Leonardo taking pictures but please refrain from ruining the floor with your high heel shoes!!

I pitied them, suffering all day long... I pitied them even more when I learned the reason behing those shoes. Our tour guide in Moscow was a young girl in her twenties who gave us the plainest answer to this quizz: "We wear this shoes to get good men". I really hope she is wrong... Alas, she is one Russian woman, and they are millions treading down the heart of that country. They are likely to have their own reasons.

This is the winner as far as hight goes
I'll leave you now, London's calling, and I have a plane to catch. I plan to have some New Age fun with a vintage feel while I take pictures of the London fields looking through my pair of empty frames, why you may wonder, well, cause being a dickhead's cool, and of course, cause Such is Life!

P.D.: More pictures can be found in my fb page, only for friends!

1 comment:

Miss Cross said...

This is such an incredible learning... I woulnd't have pictured such a big female population wearing high heels in such a way. But hey! that's one of the advantages of travelling, you get to discover more unconventional and unsusual information about countries.

I love the museum sign, btw... hahahahaha

www.chezagnes.blogspot.com