Saturday, August 27, 2011

Postcards from Russia - Through my peephole

Thursday, last few days of holidays before going back to my quest for blue Narnian donkeys fluent in Chinese, and here I am, with some more Postcards from Russia while watching (ashamed to admit it) a please-shoot-this-obnoxious-brat average program on MTV.

And although I can barely blink while the teenage brat screams at her mother for giving her a $67,000 car at the wrong time, I really feel, as the sensible adult I am, I should stop paying attention to the TV and get to the point of today's post.
A Russian crane
A peek on Russia's day-to-day life. Sure I did all the touristy stuff, paid my repects to Mr. Lenin's tiny body and all, but while doing that my camera got some glimpses of what lies beneath, a country struggling to adjust to capitalism and free market. I have said it before and will repeat it here, never have I seen so many supercars parked close to prefall of the Iron Curtain Ladas, petrol tycoons and other stuff mobsters drinking vodka in 5 star hotel halls while their security personnel eye you poor tourist suspiciosly (no kidding) and just a couple of blocks away workmen carrying put their jobs in the poorest conditions.

After last summer's trip to Romania I thought I had seen enough of Eastern Europe to get the idea of how ex-communist countries are facing the twenty first century. I was wrong, Russia has that same bitter taste but in this case, the mix of the super rich and the super poor makes the place a lot more interesting for the blogger eye. 

I spent a full five minutes watching the works outside Mowcow's Red Square. Please look at the pictures with full attention, the sequence is hilarious (and unsafe).

Am I getting too serious? I think I am! This is new... Anyway, just wanted to give some text to this pictures. Hope you enjoy them. Again, more to be found in my Fb page, only for friends!

Next on Such is Life: Postcards from Russia - The Tzars should have seen it coming!

No comments: